judeMcConkeyPhotos Interview

>> Saturday, November 3, 2012



Here is an interview with jude of judeMcConkeyPhotos of Etsy.  I selected her because I love her work - the photos are so expressive and rich with detail and her jewelry is wonderful;  and she is a good Facebook friend too, which I love!  

1. Tell me a little bit about yourself: 

I grew up in Cleveland, Ohio and moved to the upper peninsula of Michigan about 32 years ago (it's where my husband grew up). I started photography about 9 years ago after a pretty horrible "glamor shot" session. I realized I could actually bring out the beauty that every woman has. It moved quickly onto fine art photography, though.

2. How did you name your shop?: 

Lack of any kind of imagination since it's judemcconkeyphotos .. lol

3. If you had a thousand bucks to spend on Etsy, what would you buy?:

Ohhhh, that's a great question! There is some jewelry here that I've been wanting for years. Also, I'd love a complete collection of original artwork from obsoleteworld.etsy.com (her shop is on vacation til the 26th). Here's her FB page:www.facebook.com/obsoleteworld .. I absolutely love her work.. I can look at it and cry for hours - it's very emotional.


4. What are three tips you would give other Etsy shop owners?:

Market a lot. Renew/relist/list a lot. Try not to let it overcome your entire life (almost impossible).

5. What is your favorite thing about being an artist/creative person?

I've always been artistic/creative - I painted, I wrote, etc. And there was only one time in my life I didn't - when my children were little until they were in high school. As soon as they were old enough and I felt I had time (since I was also working a full time job) I felt that drain of not being creative. I started to try to find what would fill that creative side in me, which eventually led me to photography. THE thing is that creation is what I believe we are all here to do in some way. When we do that, we feel fulfilled.

6. How do you balance business and creating?

It's the hardest thing for me, I think. Since I started making vintage-inspired photo jewelry it takes up most of my time. Sometimes I think "are you a photographer, or what?" and it makes me leave the house and go in search of new photographs - WHICH I love to do. Working on photos is like being in a sacred place. It sounds weird but I'm so lost and happy when I do it. That is my first love ... not just taking the photo, but seeing what I can create wit it. Unfortunately, marketing is a huge part of being on a site like Etsy and I feel like I spend way too much time doing it, but that I have no choice I'd like to
hire a trained monkey to do that part ;)

7. Tell us about your family, or support system?I've been married to Tim for a little over 37 years. We have 4 grown children and 5 grandchildren - all who live very close to us (streets away). My husband is my biggest fan and has taken up photography as just a fun thing to do (he gets my old cameras when I get a new one). We enjoy traveling around to look for photos. He unselfishly takes all his vacation days to go to art/craft shows with me and does all the heavy, hard work. I treated with a Neil Young concert a few weeks ago to let him know how much I appreciate it.


8. When you were younger, what did you want to be when you "grew-up?"

I wanted to be an FBI agent, a lawyer, a writer and, in my teens, a pathologist .. Kind of glad I didn't do most of them, although I did write for a living for a while.

9. What was the best gift you ever received?

This is going to sound really unexciting, but it meant a lot to me. My birthdays are notoriously forgotten by family. One year my husband and brother went in together and bought me expensive, leather-bound books of "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings Trilogy".


Thanks so much for letting us get to know you more, jude!  Be sure to visit her shop on Etsy!

Post a Comment

front page

About This Blog

I am a stay at home mom with a little bit of a fabric habit. I like selling things on etsy to see if other people like the same things I make. I have two adorable kiddos and my husband is in medical school. So when the children go to bed and husband is still away studying, I use my lovely pfaff and bring myself to cut up the fabric I adore so much.
This blog helps motivate me to get things done.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP